Why I Get Grumpy About (American) Football

So, here's the thing.

I was in the marching band at Brigham Young University. It's a big school, and we had a pretty good football team. We had a big-time rivalry with the University of Utah (now a Big XII team), and we would regularly win the Mountain West Conference, which we were both part of at the time.

But that's college football. Then there's the NFL, which I can't stand. Here's why.

I'm a baseball lover. I have been all my life. I grew up in the little town of Spanish Fork, Utah, which lives and breathes baseball. There are more baseball fields per capita than anywhere in the world. I played ball in the street after school. I played ball the whole summer. I played city league ball every year from the time I was five until I would've joined the JV team, had I not decided to pursue music instead. I like to think I'm still pretty good. Baseball is my jam.

Naturally, I get a little irritated when a chunk of the mid-season gets eaten up by speculation on the NFL Draft. Or when people start getting distracted from the playoffs because preseason football is starting. I wouldn't mind if football was given equal attention, but to get such overwhelming focus drives me crazy!

And then there's basketball. Utah is the home of the Jazz. I've been a long-time lover of the team, but again—there's the whole problem of getting buried. It's not a local problem, though. I can still watch my team on local channels, for the most part. It's an issue when I go to the gym and want to find out what's happened in the larger NBA. Nothing. It's all football, all the time. Aargh!

Needless to say, I've been asked this question several times. Now I can just point people to this post.

</rant>

Thanks for wreading?

Jeff

Comments

Popular Posts