Writing as a Process pt. 2: Ideas

People always ask: Where do writers get their ideas? If you've written any fiction, called yourself a writer, or talked to people about books, you've probably heard this question. Or you might have asked this question. I think I have. It's not uncommon. But it's not a big secret. Here are three ways writers up with ideas:

Diagram
The middle is your happy place.
Mostly, it's a matter of mashing things up. Take ideas one, two, three. Smash them together. What do you get? Think about Harry Potter. Boarding school plus wizards. As a mid-grade book, two elements is great. Think of The Dresden Files: Wizards, detective story, and the main character has run afoul of the authorities. You can analyze books on your shelf this way, and it's fun to deconstruct them. If you're trying to put together a concept, this is a fun way to make a sort of Venn diagram for yourself.

Next. Sometimes, you'll actually have a beam of light hit you out of the blue. This has happened to me once or twice. I get struck with an idea that I end up adding an element to, but the core idea stays the same. You'll hear about this a lot, but it turns out that there's still a lot of craft that has to go into making these ideas work.

Also on rare occasions, you might start a freewrite or a writing prompt, and it'll get away from you. I've never actually had this happen to me, nor have I met anyone who has done this. Pretty much everyone I know who has done a writing prompt has simply used them to get the writing juices flowing before they get going for the day.

So mainly, it's a matter of fusing things, but there are other ways. They're rarer, but they do happen. That being said, this is my own experience, and the experience of those around me. You could (and undoubtedly do) have a totally different experience than I do. And I'd love to hear about it! Leave a comment, and let's get a discussion going!


Thanks for wreading!

Comments

Popular Posts