Writing as a Process: My Process

Now that you've brainstormed the idea, plot it out, but don't get too caught up in the finer points. Those will most likely change. It's time. The most important thing is to sit down with your idea and write it.

jeans, denim, pants, clothingBack to plotting for a second, my method has helped me immensely, although it's not a plotting mechanism, per se. In each chapter (and within each scene, sometimesI try to put at least two scenes in a chapter), I plot out a choice for the main character to make, which puts two of his core values into conflict. For some characters, this could be as simple as betraying someone they love or being tortured to death. I feel like this has the benefits of propelling the story along, developing the character, keeping the pacing and tension high, continuously raising the stakes, and helping to prevent too much murk in the middle.

Next, I have to make sure I'm making progress, not just doing the same thing over and over. Am I stuck in research? Am I freaking out about how a certain thing works? Do I feel compelled to re-read a certain thing to make sure I feel like I can move on to write this next section? Stop it, Jeff! Just move on! I went to a writers' group last night where this was going on a lot, and I could tell the moderator was getting frustrated, but I didn't know if I should step in. I feel bad that I didn't.

Finally, I have a really hard time keeping the picky part of my brain in check. I always want to get things done well, to be sure. But when it gets down to it, things have to get done. I can't spend my time focusing on one paragraph, or it'll take me the rest of my life to pound out a rough draft. I don't want that to happen. I'm hoping to be querying my current WiP by this time next year, if not before. To do that, I have to just keep my fingers moving. I got some good advice. If you're stuck, do a word blitz for a set amount of time on whatever you're writing. That way, you've only "wasted" that time, and you might actually get some good stuff from it.

Truth be told, whoever you are, just write. Let it take as long as it takes, but keep the fingers on the keyboard. I like what Howard Tayler says on Writing Excuses. His acronym is BICHOK (pronounced bick-hock). Butt-in-chair-hands-on-keyboard. That's the trick, right?

Thanks for wreading!

Jeff

Comments

Popular Posts