Book Review - Good Omens

In the beginning, there was a book. It almost always starts with a book. Then there was an Amazon Prime series. And behold, they were good.

I could stop there, but I won't. Anyone who knows me or has read anything from me knows I won't. I will be avoiding spoilers, so no worries.

If you want to skip the book review and go straight to the comparison between the book and the series, skip down a little bit. There are a few more spoilery things, but I don't let on any plot points, just generalities.


First, the book. Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. The full scope and sheer amazingness of the work is... ineffable. Trust me, you'll hear that word. A lot. The idea boils down to this: an angel and a demon have been living on Earth since The Beginning. They're keen to continue doing so. They like it here. The demon doesn't really want the Lords of Hell coming up and mucking it up, and the angel doesn't want the Armies of Heaven to come down and smite the sinners in Judgement Day. They just want to... you know... have a nice cup of wine. Or tea. Or read a book.

That's when the events in the book actually get going. Up to now, all of this is background. The story begins when Crowley is assigned the task of delivering the Antichrist to a convent where Satanic nuns are going to help deliver a baby. They're going to switch the baby (American, of course), who will be brought up with proper infernal guidance to realize his powers and bring about Armageddon shortly after his eleventh birthday. Simple. What could go wrong? It's not like there could possibly be two babies born at the same time, in the same building. Right? And there could never be a mix-up between the two, and—aw, crap.

So, here's my literary run-down: It's awesome. As a piece, it's almost 30 years old, and there might be a few references that seem a little dated within the book. For example, cassette tapes, answering machines, corded telephones, car phones, etc. None of which were an issue at the time—most were either cutting-edge or so common that nobody would bat an eye at them. But in 2019, we'd look at them askance. It took me back to my younger days. You know, days when the world was happy, and the only thing we worried about was total nuclear annihilation.

Other than the (only slightly) dated references to technology which is easy to overlook, everything is solid. I can imagine it's easier when you've got a well-established author like Terry Pratchett at the helm, and the then rising-star Neil Gaiman coming into his own. It's funny, sharp, irreverent, and everything you'd look for in a book with religious tones in it.

Rating 5/5

Pros
Solid, tight writing
Funny narrative
Ineffable

Cons
Might sag a little beneath its own weight
Woke my wife up laughing

NOW.

Good Omens: Book vs. Series



I was surprised at first how closely the show followed the book, but I shouldn't have been. Not only did Neil Gaiman write the adaptation, he was also one of the executive producers. In addition, this is one of the most beloved works of fiction to come out in the last 50 years, and people would have flipped out if there had been any significant changes to the content.

I say significant changes. Naturally, there were some changes made because of the difference in format. In my opinion, this is the perfect way to make a book into a film, rather than the traditional theatrical release—six hours instead of two. Roughly similar production value, even if the budget isn't the same. You can reach more people (how many people can afford to go to the movies? How many households have Prime?). You get to people on their schedule. Even so, in a six-hour slot, a visual medium isn't going to match up with what's inside your head. So accommodations have to be made.

Second. Additional conflicts are inserted between Crowley and Aziraphale. There was conflict before—they're an angel and demon, for crying out loud. Of course there's conflict. But the show draws back the curtain on perhaps a deeper conflict between the two of them. It's interesting, for sure.

Third, Adam (the Antichrist) is freakier in the show. In both, Crowley mentions how suspicion slides off him. But in the book, I felt that he just became creepy. In the show, he actually becomes frightening to his friends. Maybe that was my reading of the book. I'm sure I'll come at it with different eyes the next time I read it. I know I will be reading it again. And again. And again.

Fourth. God is the narrator. Interesting.

Fifth. Updated technology.

Sixth. You see inside heaven and hell. I don't know if I like that. This is just my personal opinion, but I liked it better when the two places were just unknown places. Do all angels just wear the classic robes and have halos? Do demons wear suits made of baby seals and wash in showers of hot tears? But seeing into the places takes some of the magic out of the imagination, I think.

My final opinion. Good Omens, the Amazon Prime series... I don't want to say it's not as good. It has all the best parts of the book. It includes things that amplify the parts that seem to slow down in the book. Because it's a visual medium, it includes things that engage us visually, and adds interesting conflict, although I'm not entirely sure it's needed. I'm not upset it's there, I just don't know if it's necessary.

Good Omens the book: Amazing. Read it if you haven't. You'll probably read it again if you've already read it once.

Good Omens the series: Fantastic. I love it. A little more intense than the book, but definitely worth a watch, since it's just six hours long. I plan to get it when it comes out, and promptly not let my kids watch it.

Comments

Popular Posts