Book Review: Don Quixote

I feel dirty.

I'm almost always ready to take on a challenging book, especially if it's considered by most people to be considered a classic. I read The Tale of Genji, I've read Dante's Divine Comedy twice, I've listened to Les Miserables. Each one has been amazing.

But...

I was expecting a lot from Don Quixote. Maybe I'd just hyped myself up so much that when I actually started it, I was let down, or just that I wasn't prepared for a 400-year-old writing style. Whatever the case, I had to put it down. It was grinding me into the ground, and I found myself just not caring about the characters. I don't know if I just didn't give it enough of a chance, but I couldn't get past the nonstop chasing of sheep. The long-winded stories about how a goat-herder became lovesick and died. The fact that Sancho Panza keeps paying the price for Don Quixote's stupidity. I just... didn't care anymore.

Was it slow? Yes. Most classics are like that. Were there funny moments? Sure! Would I recommend this to my friends? ...Maybe. If they feel like Brandon Sanderson's books are paced a little too quickly, then I'd recommend this to them.

Not to belabor the point, but the pacing is blindingly slow. I know that when I was reading (listening to) Les Mis, I found myself bored at the long, long, long, long, long descriptions about the Bishop at the beginning, and the sewers of Paris later on. But at least those had a point. With Don Quixote, I feel like each of these stories is totally episodic and will have no bearing on the rest of the book whatsoever, save for the fact that whatever injuries they take, they actually keep.

FINAL ASSESSMENT
Pros:
Considered one of the best books in history
Several comedic episodes

Cons:
Way too slow
Too much time between comedic elements
Whiny sidekick
Overdone protagonist

I can't give this one a rating since I didn't actually finish, but what I did read of it, i would give it a 1.5/5. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever read, but it could have been so much more.

But, let's just say it: different strokes for different folks. You may love it. Don't let me dissuade you from anything, but I'd just be wary and read up on some reviews online before you dive into this one. It's a pretty high diving board.

Thanks for wreading!

Jeff

Comments

Popular Posts