Living and Writing

Again, sorry for the interruption.

I've realized in recent weeks just how hard it is to write while real life is  real hard. My wife and I have been doing a big-time remodel project, and it's taken an entire month for us to finish. In addition, I've been on daddy-duty when not working directly on the remodel. And that's not even counting my epilepsy, which has been kind of out-of-control recently. So this poses a problem. How do you write (or read) when it all hits the fan?

My wife tends to lean toward the "just write while the kids are finally asleep" camp. That would be fine, other than the fact that our son in particular happens to stay awake until eleven, coming into our room every ten minutes or so, saying "Hey... I have a idea!" It's cute, but it's impossible to get any work done when the kids don't actually go to sleep.

Other people do their writing during lunch breaks or other slow times when they're at work. That's a great idea. But for house-parents like yours truly, it's going to be much more difficult since you have to be watching over the little varmints whenever they're around. It's hard, and anyone who writes knows that.

I don't have a whole lot else to say today, except a little more about keeping up appearances. Keeping up a Twitter account, a blog, a Facebook page or something like that is going to be vital. But like we've seen over the last couple weeks, it's hard to maintain these things if life is going crazy. You can usually schedule things out a few weeks ahead of time, but still... if you can't work for a whole month, you're going to wind up with gaps in your updates. Not fun.

If anyone has an idea as to how to deal with this problem, I'd be more than welcome to hear it. The best way I've found is to just beg my wife to let me go write at the local library so I can have some uninterrupted time. It usually works, but not always.

Again, you can also find me on Twitter, since that's one of the only accounts I check regularly so far. I'm still trying to build up a bit of a network, so I'd love to hear from each and every one of you.

Thanks for wreading!
Jeff

Comments

Popular Posts