Consequences of not thinking ahead...

I have to keep this short and sweet, since I have to get my daughter from kindergarten...

I've not been very good at keeping things updated, and the issue is similar to what I'd mentioned before. Real life intrudes. But should it?

I remember talking to Howard Tayler of the Schlock Mercenary web comic, and he told me he has a buffer of about a month. And he releases his strips daily. I have no idea how he does it. I can barely keep a blog going for two months before I start missing weeks. But disappointing a few followers can have devastating effects.

If people become used to a certain schedule, like on a podcast I used to run, don't break that schedule (I know, I'm a hypocrite). It tends to alienate people, and that's certainly not what you want to do as an author. Also, you need to be putting yourself out there on social media like Twitter and other outlets (like this blog) so people can see you and you can sell yourself as a brand. But therein lies the danger. Like I said above, if you don't plan far ahead and keep a long buffer of material, you're going to wind up fading into obscurity, especially in this day and age when people are so used to getting updates and information instantly.

My time is up, but I would love to get comments and questions about my struggles with this, and I would like to hear any solutions you might have come up with to help work though these problems.

Thanks for wreading!

Jeff

Comments

Popular Posts