Post-Conference Rundown: LDS Storymakers 2017

Greetings, all.

First of all, let me get one thing cleared out. I live in north-central Utah, which is pretty much the Mormon capital of the world. And I'm no different. So it's only natural that I go to a conference that's put on by people who are primarily LDS (Mormon) due to the density in the population.

That being said, there are some names that attend the conference you might not expect: Dan Wells, Brandon Sanderson, James Dashner, J. Scott Savage, etc. This conference included such a shiny guest list, but it wasn't just the superstars of the SF/F genres. Every genre is represented at this conference (save erotica).

So, here's what the weekend shook out... It was like trying to drink from a fire hose.

My primary concern was how to deepen my characters, polish plot and to get an agent. For two days, I took intense classes on those subjects and totally wore myself out trying to keep track of it all. Even now, just less than a week later, I'm still trying to process everything so I can implement it in my writing and my (hopefully upcoming) career.

So this is where I'm going to turn to you, fair reader. What are your thoughts on polishing a manuscript? What do you think of deepening characters and finding agents? These are hard questions and ones that are going to be different for every person that tries to answer, but it's worth hearing a lot of answers so one can get a feel for what has worked in the past.

All the best!

Jeff

Comments

Popular Posts