Time crunches

So you're in a time crunch and can't update your blog? Can't really take time to check Twitter or Facebook for good things to help your public image? Yeah. Me either.

If you've been reading this for any amount of time, you know that I've talked about time and scheduling quite often. More often than often, actually. But life intrudes and you can't get time to do everything sometimes.

I think I'm more guilty of this than most people, as I'm a full-time dad, and now my kids are both in school. I walk a total of two hours each day to drop off and pick up my kids from the school, and try to cram in as much butt-in-chair-hands-on-keyboard time as I can. Yet it still works out that I barely have enough time to get done that extra little bit to get myself out there. That also makes my image in other online vistas atrophy.

For example, I've been clawing my way to more followers on Twitter. First, I had sixty. Then I gained two. Lost one. Gained three. Lost four. Gained two. Gained two more. Lost three. See how annoying this is? If everyone had just kept following me, I'd probably have over a hundred by now. And maybe more people would be taking me seriously. As it is, I tend to retweet a lot of Star Wars stuff, since I don't have much time to go through and look for a lot of deep literary insight.

But time crunches happen in different ways, as well. A good friend of mine who spoke at a conference recently talked about the trials and tribulations of writing 10,000 words in one or two weeks. I don't think I need to say that's hauling ass. I personally have a hard time considering that much, although I suppose people do something similar during NaNoWriMo, like I plan to do this year.

Crunching everything into what time you have is a hard prospect, and one that takes a lot of prioritization. Personally, that's not something I'm good at, as you can tell from the large gaps in my blog. However, I think when you're doing it right and you have a good rhythm to life, writing and social aspects come together much more seamlessly than they do otherwise. I'm going to try being more astute in the future about these things, and if possible, I'd like all of you to keep me accountable for it. Send me your thoughts!

Thanks for wreading!
Jeff

Comments

Popular Posts